Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bitter sweet


I voted last night and at the very last minute... no joke. I arrived with 12 minutes to spare and not one person in line! Since I didn't go to the exact polling place (20 minutes away) I had to vote on a provisional ballot. F*ckin lame! This only allowed me to vote for the president and congressional elect. Instead of using the new monitors to vote I had a tangible ballot where I had to complete an arrow to the right of the person I chose.
Looking like this: <-- --<

Now everyone knows I'm a die hard Republican, went to University of Arizona, I've worked on McCain's campaigns, and I had no clue who to vote for. Even last week I was still on the fence. Being a political science major in college, elections are very important to me. It is our civic duty as Americans to go out and exercise our right to vote. There are soldiers who fight and die for all of us to live in a democratic country. Yes voting for a president is almost obsolete with the electoral college, but voting for local and state politicians are so important and just a few votes have a huge impact on your community.

Opening the ballot to make my decision I had to pause for a moment. It was so hard to see someone that I have supported ever since I was 18 years old and know he was not going to get my vote. Marking the arrow next to Obama felt as though I was stabbing a friend in the back. Although I know I made the right decision (hopefully) I still couldn't believe McCain had changed so much. He is an amazing Senator and someone that I strongly believe has done more for our country than many of our past presidents being a Prisoner of War. I do love Senator McCain and have for over a decade, but after recent events in our country I don't believe he is right for change that is so desperately needed. Even with this knowledge, I couldn't help but feel guilty for voting for Obama. I've never voted Democrat in my entire voting life. Is it possible to be the only person with this hanging over my head? I am happy with the decsion, but still can't shake this feeling.

President Obama, congratulations on your victory. Please don't prove me wrong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Lacey! First time voting Dem for me as well. A very weird feeling indeed. Like you, I "Hope", excuse the use of campaign slogan, I made the right choice. Living in Australia now, I'm witnessing, and hearing, how everything is being affected worldwide. There are so many immigrants here from all over they're stories of how things have changed economically and otherwise in their respective countries are astounding.

Enough politics. So glad to see you doing so well. Let me know next time you'll be down under and I'll see if I can catch up!

Aces/Hit your Q9s
:-)
Ciao